Matar Paneer is a classic North Indian dish. The soft crumbly texture of the paneer, the sweetness of the peas and the delicious tomato gravy all make this a dish to reckon with. Matar paneer is quite often made at home. Matar Paneer goes well with parathas,naan and even steamed rice.
Ingredients for Mutter Paneer:
- 500 gms paneer cubed
- 200 gms shelled peas
- 2 large onions
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 tbsps garlic paste
- 2 tsps coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsps garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 green chillies chopped fine
- 6 tbsps of oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsps thickened/ double/ heavy cream
- Coriander leaves chopped fine to garnish
- Grind onions into a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Next grind tomatoes into fine paste and keep aside.
- Heat 2-3 tbsps of oil in a pan and gently stir-fry the cubes of paneer till golden. Remove onto a paper towel and keep aside.
- In the same vessel heat 2-3 tbsps of oil and add the onion paste. Fry till it turns light brown.
- Add tomato paste, ginger and garlic paste and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric and garam masala powders, green chillies and fry, stirring continuously till the oil begins to separate from the masala (spice mixture).
- Add the peas to the masala and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the paneer, water and salt, reduce flame to a simmer and cook till the gravy thickens.
- When the gravy is as thick as you would like, turn off the flame and stir in the cream.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
- Mutter paneer tastes great with parathas, naans and even jeera rice.
Thanks for visiting Vegetarian Delights!