Methi Chapathi are made at home when ever i have fresh methi leaves. For the kids lunch box it is the methi paratha and for me and the hubby i make the roti. Fenugreek leaves or methi leaves are very good for health as they are rich in antioxidant, iron and also a good source of dietary fiber. It also has vitamin C, thiamine, riboflavin, vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium, potassium and selenium. It is beneficial to diabetic patients and also helps to alleviate the symptoms of both menstruation and menopause. In short fenugreek has numerous health benefits which can help in overall well being. So try to include it in your diet at least once in a week. Methi Chappathis taste good and it is very delicious. Fenugreek contains an amino acid called 4-hydroxyisoleucine, which appears to increase the body’s production of insulin when blood sugar levels are high. You may use Fresh Fenugreek Leaves
Ingredients for Chapathi
- Wheat flour – 2cups
- Water – 1 ½ cup (enough to mix the dough)
- Salt – 1tsp
- Oil – 2 to 3Tlbs (Cooking Oil)
Yield: 12 – 14 Pieces
Ingredients for Stuffing:
- One Bunch of Fenugreek Leaves ( Methi) finely chopped
- Green chilies – 4-5 grind
- Cumin Seeds – 1tsp
- Oil – 2tsps
- Gram masala Powder – 1tsps
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Haldi ( turmeric powder) – ½tsp
- Heat the pan; add oil to it when the oil heat up adds cumin seeds when it stops the pops.
- Pour the Fenugreek. Do not fry too much, if so the bitter taste comes. Add Coriander powder, Gram malasa powder, Turmeric powder, and salt.
- Now add to the cooked Fenugreek Leaves to the flour.
- Allow it to cool
- Gently combine Chopped Fenugreek and kneed to smooth dough.
(As a final step, taste little bit of dough and make sure it tastes right and all the ingredients and salt are mixed perfectly. If you feel salt is not enough or not mixed propertly do the step 5 again. Try not to add too much of water, if you add too much of water the flour will be sticky. The dough must not stick to the bowl. Now add oil to the dough and mix well. Now we are ready to make Chapathi. Do you have tawa?
- Make round balls of dough and roll out into thin round shape chappathis using little wheat flour for dusting.
Note: Initially, it will be difficult to make the perfect round shape and size. Do not worry, practice makes perfect.
- Heat the Tawa and put the nice round shape chappathi on the top of the tawa.
- When it puffs up turn it over to the other side and cook till brown specks are formed both sides.
- Add Oil or Ghee to chappathi on top. If you are looking for Low Fat Diet, skip this step.
Thanks for visiting Vegetarian Delights!
Dry Fenugreek Leaves.