Mutter Paneer/Peas Cottage Cheese
In India fresh peas are used in various dishes such as aloo matar (curried potatoes with peas) or matar paneer(paneer cheese with peas), though they can be substituted with frozen peas as well. Peas are also eaten raw as they are sweet when fresh off the bush. Peas/Mutter are high in protein. Paneer is made out of milk. Paneer is a protein-rich food. Let us see how we prepare Mutter Panner.
Ingredients for Mutter Paneer:
- 500 gms paneer cubed
- 200 gms shelled peas
- 2 large onions
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 tbsps garlic paste
- 2 tsps coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsps garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 green chillies chopped fine
- 6 tbsps of oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsps thickened/ double/ heavy cream
- Coriander leaves chopped fine to garnish
- Grind onions into a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Next grind tomatoes into fine paste and keep aside.
- Heat 2-3 tbsps of oil in a pan and gently stir-fry the cubes of paneer till golden. Remove onto a paper towel and keep aside.
- In the same vessel heat 2-3 tbsps of oil and add the onion paste. Fry till it turns light brown.
- Add tomato paste, ginger and garlic paste and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric and garam masala powders, green chillies and fry, stirring continuously till the oil begins to separate from the masala (spice mixture).
- Add the peas to the masala and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the paneer, water and salt, reduce flame to a simmer and cook till the gravy thickens.
- When the gravy is as thick as you would like, turn off the flame and stir in the cream.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
- Mutter paneer tastes great with parathas, naans and even jeera rice.
Thanks for visiting Vegetarian Delights!