Moong dal dough crepe stuffed with Upma(cream of wheat/fine semolina dish)] .This is a traditional breakfast dish of Andhra Pradesh.Its a whole green gram lentil (moong dal) dosa stuffed with Upma. Pesarratu and Upma are two separate dishes. Each of them goes by itself and the combination is called Pesara Attu Upma.
Ingredients for Pesara-Attu
- Pesalu – 1 cup (Whole moong dal/green lentil)
- Raw rice – 1 tbsp
- Ginger Piece – 1 inch
- Green chilly – 2
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tblsp
- Onion -1 finely chopped
Method to prepare Pesara-Attu:
- Soak the moon dal and rice in water for 5 to 6hrs
- Drain the water and add green chillies, ginger,cumin seeds and salt
- Grind the mixture to a smooth paste adding water as required. It’s similar to dosa batter.
- In mean while take a separate bowl and chopped onion, green chillie mix well and keep aside.
- Heat a hot plate to medium heat and grease it with little oil. Pour a laddle full of batter on it and spread to a round thin layer.
- Now add 1tblsp of chopped onion on the top of pesaruattu. Cook until the pesarattu turns brown.
- Now turn to other side and let it be on medium flame and it light brown.
Ingredients for Upma:
- Rava – 1cup(Semolina,Sooji)
- Water – 2 cups
- Black gram- 1 tsp (Urad dal.Minappappu)
- Mustard seeds -1/2tsp (Aavalu,Ria)
- Green chilly – 3 slit length wise
- Ginger -1 inch finely chopped
- Curry leaves – 10 to 12
- Tomato – 2 medium size finely chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/3tsp (Pasupu,Haldi)
Method to prepare Upma:
Dry roast the semolina for 5 minutes. The color of rava should not change. Do not burn. Keep aside.
Note: Most prefer to eat upma made of fine semolina than the coarse variety. So when buying semolina ask for the finer variety. If you make upma with the coarser kind,remember to add a little more water for it to cook well
- Heat the oil in the frying pan add mustard seeds and let them splutter. now add black gram dal when the color of dal change to slite brown add chopped ginger, green chilly and curry leave.
- Now add Tomatoes and fry till soft.
- Add salt and 2 cups of water and bring ot to boil.
- Now slowly add the semolina and stir contisnuosly to avoid lumps and keep aside.
Before preparing pesarattu, first prepare the upma. Now on the top of the pesarattu keep the upma inside and fold like triangle. Traditionally its served with upma and ginger chutney.You can also serve with coconut chutney or coriander chutney.
Thanks for visiting Vegetarian Delights!