Plain Bhaturas are very tasty and it is very delicious. Bhaturas or Bhature is one of the most popular punjabi recipe. Bhatura are thick leavened fried Indian bread. Bhaturas are often eaten with chole (chickpeas) and this combination of chole bhature is very tasty as well as popular all over india. The other good point of this bhatura recipe is that it used less of all purpose flour (maida)/refined white flour and more of whole wheat flour (atta). The ratio of all purpose flour to whole wheat flour used in this recipe is approx 1:3 respectively. Some of the other bhatura recipes are made of only refined wheat flour. Also, this bhatura recipe is made without yeast. For the leavening of the flour, curd and baking powder/baking soda is used. They are tasty but not so good for health. Thats why I chose this recipe.
Ingredients for dough:
- Maida (Plain flour) – 2cups
- Water – 1 ½ cup (enough to mix the dough)
- Salt – 1tsp
- Oil – enough oil to fry.
- Thick Curd – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Baking powder – 3 pinches
Method to make dough:
- Seive flour with salt, baking powder oil together in a mixing bowl.
- pour curd, milk and knead well.
- Knead the dough for serveral times
- Keep closed for 5 minutes
Yield: 8 bhaturas:
Making of Bhaturas:
- Make round balls and roll out into thin chappathis using little plain flour for dusting.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan and fry one by one all the bhatura till golden color.
- Remove the bhatura and drain it on kitchen tissue for excess oil.
Thanks for visiting Vegetarian Delights!