Kurma is mild and creamy curry dish. It can be made thru yoghurt, coconut or coconut milk. The flavour is based on a mixture of spices, including ground coriander and cumin. Potatoes are best known for their carbohydrate content (approximately 26 grams in a medium potato). This carb contains starch. Some amount of this starch is resistant to digestion by enzymes in the stomach and small intestine, and so reaches the large intestine essentially intact. This resistant starch is considered to have similar physiological effects and health benefits as fiber: This fibre offers protection against colon cancer, improves glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity, lowers plasma cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations, increases satiety, and possibly even reduces fat storage
Ingredients for Kurma
- Potato – 6 medium size
- Onion – 1 big size
- Tomato – 3 medium size
- Salt – 1tsp
Ingredients for Seasoning:
- Oil – 3Tbl.sp
- Fennel/Sombu – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – 2 sticks
- Cloves – 3 pieces
- Bay leaves – 1 big size
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1tsp
- Chilly powder – 1tsp as per taste
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kurma powder – 1tsp
Ingredients for Grinding:
- Poppy Seeds – 3 Tbl.sp
- Chewnuts – 10 -15
- Ginger&Garlic paste – 1tsp
- Onion – 2
- Tomato – 2
- Coconut – 4Tbl sp (optional)
Soak poppy seeds and chewnuts in hot water for 10 – 15 minutes and grind with above ingredients to fine paste.
- Boil the potatoes and peel. Cut into small squares.
- Add oil to the frying pan
- when the oil is hot add Fennel seeds, Cinnamon, Cloves and Bay leaves
- Now add the onoins slice, tomato and fry well
- Add Turmeric powder, Chilly powder, Coriander powder, Garam masala powder, kurma powder.
- Add the ground paste and fry till raw smell goes off. Add the potatoes Cook on the medium heat until potatoes turns soft and the gravy thickness if you need some more you can salt to the gravy.
- Serve Hot with Chapathi, Naan and Paratha.
Thanks for visiting Vegetarian Delights!