Bottle gourds are one of the favorite vegetables of Indians and has numerous health benefits. . Bottle gourd has gained quiet a bit of popularity these days because of various reasons.The most important for girls and women is that it helps in weight loss and brings a glow to the skin. They are especially good for old aged people. Bottle gourd is 96.1% water and 100gm of serving of it contains just 12 calories .Therefore if you are keen on losing weight then include lots of it in your diet.
Ingredients for Sorakya-Pappu
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Bottle Gourd – 300gms
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 3tsps
- Urad dal – 2tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/4tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/4tsp
- Tumeric powder- 1/4tsp
- Take dal in a bowl and wash it. Add some water to the dal and keep it aside.
- Wash, peel and cut the bottle gourd into medium sized pieces. Add the gourd pieces to the dal and place this bowl in a pressure cooker and cook. After first whistle, lower the flame and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the dal when the pressure cooker cools down.
- Heat a pan and add oil to it. When the oil is hot add the black gram and fry till the seeds start changing colour to light brown. Then add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and fry till they crackle. Now add the asafoetida and curry leaves and fry well.
- Add the prepared dal to the seasoning and mix well. If required add some water to get the right consistency. Bring it to a boil and then transfer to a serving bowl. Serve hot with plain rice and any pickle as side dish.
Thanks for visiting Vegetarian Delights!