Tomato in lentils
Toor dal is also sometimes referred to as lentils or split pigeon peas. This traditional Indian dish is often served with rich spices over rice, and is a staple in many Indian restaurants and households. Toor dal is a member of the legume family, and this meal is not only delicious, it also has a number of health benefits. Toor dal contains folic acid, an important vitamin for all women, especially those planning to become pregnant. Folic acid is essential for fetal development and can help to prevent neural tube birth defects such as spina bifida. Getting adequate amounts of folic acid in your diet can help to reduce specific brain and spinal cord birth defects by more than 70 percent.
Ingredients for Tomato in Lentils
- Thuar dhal -3/4 cup
- Tomatoes – 2
- Curry Leaves – Few
- Fenugreek Seeds – 3 peices
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tblsp
- Black Gram – 1tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1tsp
- Red chiily Powder -11/4tsp
- Tumeric Powder – 1tsp
- Asafoetida Powder – 1/4tsp
- Salt to taster
- Oil – 2tsp
Method to prepare Tomatoes
- Take Pigeon Peas into a bowl and wash them thoroughly.
- Add water and keep this bowl aside. Wash, clean and chop the tomatoes.
- Add the chopped tomato pieces to the dal and place this bowl in a pressure cooker and cook.
- When the pressure develops in the pressure cooker, cook on low flame for 15 minutes.
Methods to prepare lentils
- When the cooker is cool,
- Remove the bowl and add red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt to the cooked dal.
- Heat a pan and add oil to it. When the oil is hot add the fenugreek seeds and black gram. Fry till the seeds start changing color.
- Then add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Fry till the seeds splutter. Add the curry leaves and asafoetida to the seasoning. Fry well
- Add the cooked dal. Mix well and if required add some water to get the right consistency. Bring the dal to a boil and transfer the dal to a serving bowl.
Thanks for visiting Vegetarian Delights!