Vegetable kurma is a curry dish which is popular in India as well as in central Asia. The base of the curry can be coconut paste or Coconut milk, yogurt, cream, onion or tomato paste or nuts-seeds paste or a combination.
In North Indian and Mughlai cuisine generally yogurt and cream are added. whereas in the South Indian versions, coconut is used along with some nuts-seeds. there are many many variations of making a kurma.
ngredients for Kurma
- Carrot – 3
- Cauliflower – 1/4kg
- French beans – 1/4kg
- Peas – 100gms
- Onion – 1 big size
- Tomato – 3 medium siz
- Salt – 1tsp
- Cut the vegetables evenly into small pieces or cut the Vegetable lengthy for 1/2 inch and half boil the vegetables and salt with 3 cups of water.
Ingredients for Seasoning:
- Oil – 3Tbl.sp
- Fennel/Sombu – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – 2 sticks
- Cloves – 3 pieces
- Bay leaves – 1 big size
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1tsp
- Chilly powder – 1tsp as per taste
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kurma powder – 1tsp
Ingredients for Grinding:
- Poppy Seeds – 3 Tbl.sp
- Chewnuts – 10 -15
- Ginger&Garlic paste – 1tsp
- Onion – 2
- Tomato – 2
- Coconut – 4Tbl sp (optional)
Soak poppy seeds and chewnuts in hot water for 10 – 15 minutes and grind with above ingredients to fine paste.
- Half cook the Vegetables and salt in hot water with 3 glass of water.
- Add oil to the frying pan
- when the oil is hot add Fennel seeds, Cinnamon, Cloves and Bay leaves
- Now add the onoins slice, tomato and fry well
- Add Turmeric powder, Chilly powder, Coriander powder, Garam masala powder, kurma powder.
- Add the ground paste and fry till raw smell goes off. Add the boiled Vegetables. Cook on the medium heat until Vegetables turns soft and the gravy thickness if you need some more you can salt to the gravy.
- Serve Hot with Chapathi, Naan and Paratha.
Thanks for visiting Vegetarian Delights!