Vegetable Stuffed Paratha
A paratha is a flat bread that originated in the Indian subcontinent. It is made witth whole-wheat flour/ atta flour (wheat grain)and mixed vegetables. All vegetables means more fibre, more protein and nutritious. This is a very healthy, nutritious and wholesome breakfast with the goodness of vegetables. Next to aloo parathas and gobi paratha, this is our family’s favorite paratha. It can also be packed for lunch as it remains very soft even hours later. Perfect for kid’s breakfast, lunch box and snack box. There is no need for any special side dish for this paratha as it is very tasty on its own. If required, you can have it with curd or pickle or just a simple raita.
Ingredients for Dough:
- Wholewheat flour – 2 cups
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil (2 tbsps to knead the dough and the rest for frying the Parathas)
The dough for Parathas is made the same way as the dough for Chapatis. The recipe above makes roughly 12 Parathas.
Yield: 12 – 14 Pieces
Method to make dough:
- Sieve flour with salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle water gradually and knead to smooth dough.
- Knead the dough for several times
- Keep closed for 5 minutes.Ingredients for Stuffing:
- Potato – 2 medium size
- Carrot – 2 medium size
- Beans – 10 to 15 pieces
- Cauliflower – 250 gms
- Cabbage – 250 gms
- Peas – 1 cup
- Cumin Seeds – 1tsp
- Oil – 2 tsps
- Chilly Powder – 1tsps
- Coriander Powder – 1tsps
- Gram masala Powder – 1tsps
- Salt – 1 taps
- Haldi ( turmeric powder) – ½tsp
Method for stuffing:
- Wash all the vegetables and grind in food processor
- Boil the the potatoes in a pressure pan
- When the pressure goes off remove the skin of the potato.
- Heat oil in the pan add cumin seeds,and add Vegetable and mashed potato ,Chilly powder, Coriander powder, Gram malasa powder, Turmeric powder, salt and put the grated vegetables to cook well.
- Now add potatoes and vegetables and mashed them nicely.
- Fry all the ingredients well till the raw smell of the powders goes off. (15 minutes)
- Allow the stuffing to cool, and make small balls and keep aside.
Making stuffed paratha:
- Make round balls and roll out to a small circle and add the stuffing and close it nicely.
- Roll out the dough balls a little bit say about 4 inch diameter or whatever is comfortable for you and place the Vegetable mixture in the middle.
- Close the loose ends of the dough such that the mixture is completely sealed. Now roll out the dough. It’s okay if the Vegetable mixture comes out a little bit here and there. Use some flour to roll out whenever needed or if the dough sticks to the board or your counter top while rolling out
- Heat the tawa and put the Vegetable stuffed Paratha on the top of that add oil or ghee on the sides.
- When it puffs up turn over the other side and cook till brown specks are formed both sides.
- Serve the parathas warm, as a mealtime bread. They are traditionally accompanied by plain yoghurt or any raita.
Thanks for visiting Vegetarian Delights!